Sunday, April 3, 2011

Staying in Touch

How many of us out there sit back and watch our children on the computer?  How many of us really know what they are doing?  Facebook has become stomping grounds for our kids.  They are entertained by playing the countless number of games that are offered and they can chat with their 100's of friends.  (Half of them they don't even know!)  There are but a handful of parents that will investigate just what their children are doing, the rest.... well, shame on you!

I am one of those annoying moms and proud to admit it!  My girls were not allowed to have a FB without me having their passwords.  I sat with them to set it up and made sure they set the privacy to 'friends only,' no exception!  No information was given for school, age, gender etc.  That was last year.

I randomly pull up their information (at the very least, once a week) to make sure they are maintaining their end of the bargin.  Needless to say, I was shocked recently when I viewed several disturbing comments on one of my daughter's page.  I was aware that she has been having some conflict with some girls from her school and thought things were being dealt with on that end.  It's on going... unfortunately. (We'll discuss that in more detail later.)

Here's where I tell you about a new site that not very many parents are aware of.  I was completely in the dark on this one!  My daughter was told to get a Formspring accout by this particular girl  (so they could talk things over)... she did.  OMG---people---listen when I tell you, if you haven't seen this site and you think your child might be on it.... STOP THEM!!  Stop them NOW!! 

This site allows children to openly slander, curse, cyber-bully and anything else that you can't imagine!  If you've found your child is involved with this site, read everything!!  I know some teens can be cruel but this goes beyond cruel.  If you find anything that is remotely resembling this new wave of bullying, copy it!  Make 3 copies.  One for the school, one for the police and one for yourself!! 

I hope that any of you who read this heed the warning and stay in touch with your kids!!  They are not going to always tell you what is going on in their lives but there are ways you can prevent some things.  If you have a similar situation, feel free to comment and tell us what you've found and how you are dealing!!

Honey

No comments:

Post a Comment